Wednesday, September 22, 2010

More of my favorite things...




The last few years’ plastics have been in the news and there is a lot of worry about using such plastics. The two most commonly talked about plastics are PET and BPA. According Wikipedia the plastic commonly abbreviated as PET or PETE bottles are “Polyethylene terephthalate (sometimes written poly(ethylene terephthalate)), or the obsolete PETP or PET-P), is a thermoplastic polymer resin of the polyester family and is used in synthetic fibers; beverage, food and other liquid containers; thermoforming applications; and engineering resins often in combination with glass fiber.” Wikipedia says BPA is “Bisphenol A an organic compound with two phenol functional groups used to make polycarbonate plastic and epoxy resins, along with other applications.”

With all the other toxins Autism parents have to worry about, I have myself decided to take the easy approach and to just try to avoid both. Since I am a bit of a PITA about the way my water tastes I was a little concerned about going without bottled water. I personally drink at least a half-gallon of water a day and my children drink only water when at home. We rarely have soda in the house and if we do we only have Hansen’s Natural Soda. Being the poor girl that I am an expensive water filtration systems are out of our family budget and the water snob in me says no way to tap water . So how does one actually give up bottle water without buying one of those expensive water filtration systems and without drinking tap water?

For me the compromise has been Stainless Steel Water Bottles and an inexpensive water system you can buy at a store near you.

The issues I have found after trying a few different Stainless Water Bottles is that they are not all Autism friendly. Our kids spill, chew, stim, throw, lose, have sensory issues and goodness only knows what else. I also have the other three children who worry about looks and what other kids will think if they are lugging around a bottle of water not in the latest trending bottle like Fiji, Aqua Fina, Dasani, etc. My first try out was the Costco brand water bottle, they are inexpensive and easy to purchase. They are nice because they keep the lid with the bottle by a small plastic strap. The down side is the plastic strap is a much preferred chew toy to my 9 year old with Autism. The down side for me was the obnoxious sound they made every time you tried to suck water out of them. That led me to take off the top and drink out of a hole bigger than a quarter and smaller than a half dollar. It also led to me spilling on myself, especially while on the treadmill. No matter how inexpensive something is it does still have to be practical. For me practical includes autism and gym friendly.

I was very fortunate when a friend sent me her version of the Stainless Steel Water bottle to try. The Tazzini water bottle is all that their website claims. It is “convenient and healthy, designed with busy families in mind, we created the healthiest, most-convenient leak-proof stainless steel bottle you can invest in. “

The number one thing I love is the cap!!! When closed is about 2 inches tall and 2 inches wide and 1 inch think. Number one thing, it is so far been indestructible by Austin, which is no small task. I also think it’s size makes it less likely to be lost if your house is somewhat clean. Unless it gets thrown into your toy chest, teen boy’s smelly room your refuse to enter or teen daughter’s closet, you should be ok, because it is big enough to spot under the coach and on your floor. Surprisingly despite the size it is still easy to drink out of. You just flip open the lid twists the spill proof drink port and drink. I also very much like the way the area you drink out of is shaped, so far Austin has yet to figure out how to chew on it. On most kid water bottles the top is one that you pull out and is just the right size to chew until destroyed.

I personally for me also like the size of the bottle. I generally drink almost two 16 ounce water bottles in an hour trip to the gym. The Tazzini water bottle is 24.7 ounces and will stay cold until the end. The bottle is also well designed. It is a little smaller in the middle which means it is easy to grab and grip while walking 4 miles per hour on the tread mill or running 6 miles per hour on the treadmill.

Emily the 10 year old also loves the bottle. As soon as she saw it tried to steal it for hers since it has a cool peace sign design.

The Primer Family agrees with the Tazzini website, “There are so many reasons to love a Tazzini!”

Tazzinni also won best product of the year in the Inventor’s Showcase at the Moms in Business Unite conference!

This blog went a little longer than I expected so a future blog will be on the inexpensive water filtration system that you can buy at a store near you.

Until next time PITAup and do something to change the life of a child with Autism, the life you change maybe your own!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment