Monday, July 5, 2010

New favorite gluten free casein free foods




We have two new favorite foods to review!!!

The first item up for review is the new Daiya cheese, its package boasts “deliciously dairy free”. It is dairy, lactose, casein, whey, nuts, gluten, soy and egg free. It is also free of artificial ingredients, preservatives, hormones, antibiotics and is GMO free. It comes in Cheddar style and Mozzarella style. I paid $4.99 for an 8 ounce bag.

After having Austin on the GFCF diet for 6 years I can tell you CF cheese is generally nasty. It has no redeeming qualities to it and generally turns to oil when melted. Honestly at our house we gave up cheese when we started the diet. It was just something that could not be duplicated!!!

Daiya cheese is changing that perception in a big way!!! Not only does it taste good it melts. I made Austin a grilled cheese sandwich the other day and when I tore it apart it spread like real cheese! All I have to say is WOW!!! If you haven’t tried it you need to. In Southern California Daiya cheese can be found at Whole Foods and Mother’s. I am hoping Henry’s hurries and gets the message of how great this cheese is or I will be making those bi-monthly trips to Mother’s again. Won’t be a bad thing for me since I have a Mother's addiction, but the husband may complain since we live in Carlsbad, CA and the closest one is in Laguna Hill, lol.

The Daiya website also has a macaroni and cheese recipe that looks great. The also have other products they have paired up with and it is definitely worth checking out that list as well since NuLife Foods, Amy’s and other well known GFCF companies are in the list. I’m definitely looking forward to my sample pack of foods NuLife Foods is sending since I noticed that Daiya cheese is on their pizza. Very exciting indeed!! Also if you did not hear you can order the trial pack right now for only $10 with special discount code. For the same shipping cost you can add one more item to your cart. My favorite still is the chicken burger, but I hear the nuggets are an overall favorite!!!


The second item up for review is the gluten free pizza at BJ’s Brewhouse, cost $8.99 without toppings. If you order it without cheese it is also casein free. Per Tamara Bersbach, BJ's Restaurants, Inc. Risk Management Coordinator, “The pizza crust does not have dairy nor does the sauce. The only dairy comes from the cheese. Also all of our ingredients for the Gluten Free Pizza's are in a separate area to avoid any cross contamination with other food items.” Per the menu all toppings are gluten free except the meatballs. The pizza is also egg free! I did not inquire about topping being casein free. I went with the safe choice of grilled chicken as Austin won’t eat veggies on a pizza and I know that the majority of pepperonis have milk in them.

So this Pizza is pretty much a typical thin pizza, it is 10 inches and could easily feed 2 or more children. Emily tasted and liked it and Austin ate half of it, so the Primer’s are giving it 2 thumbs up. I did take Daiya cheese and threw some on top of it when it came out. Now if only we could get BJ’s Brewhouse Restaurants to pick up Daiya Cheese for their pizzas and the world of GFCFEF would be a little better place.

One of the things I really like about BJ’s Brewhouse is they have an allergen menu, so if you are going there just ask for one or I have a .pdf of their Allergen brochure that lists 10 common allergens: egg, fish, milk, msg, peanuts, shellfish, soy, sulfites, tree nuts, and wheat. If anyone wants it feel free to e-mail me at pita_up@yahoo.com and I will send that right out to you!

I do have to say if you are deciding to try BJ’s Brewhouse Restaurants’ I am not recommending the Carlsbad, CA store for anything more then take out. We really love the store in Laguna Hills; they have fabulous service, even with parties of 10 or more. The Carlsbad store we have been to at least a dozen times since it opened in October and the food is great, but the service is seriously lacking!!! I think the only time we have been to the Carlsbad BJ’s and received good service is when one of my husband’s former students served us.

Until next time, PITAup and let us know your thoughts on our 2 new favorite products!!!


*Please note any links that are in green and underlined twice are being linked by the blog, and are not being linked by me and do not represent anything I am promoting.*

4 comments:

  1. I love the Daiya cheese! I just made GFCFSF lasagna last night. I have heard some kids react to the glutamate from the Pea protein but we've used it so infrequently that it is not problematic for M. Glad you are liking it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uggh..shipping is 19.95 for nulife..i know, suck it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more you order the better deal, you can order four things for $24.95. I have tasted the sheppard's pie, chicken nuggets and Chicken burgers and loved them all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri we have used it every day for a week and so far no issue. But I don't think we have a pea issue.

    ReplyDelete