Friday, July 27, 2012

I am thankful!!


A great life lesson: It is always good to say "thank you", you never know what the impact will have.

I had a mom come up to me today at the national ASA conference today and thank me for my posts on the yahoo groups, which I have not done since November 2008, and Facebook.  She wanted to let me know that my child, Austin, and his journey made a difference in her life and for her child.

I am very appreciative, because I it reminded me of 8 years ago, when I was  alone and doing this on my own with a search engine, and I found Dana's View. I stalked that poor woman, via yahoo groups (8) including GFCF Kids, an enzyme group and many others, until she brought me HOME, to Talk About Curing Autism NOW where I found, where I belonged.

If I ever meet Dana's View, I will thank her from the bottom of my heart, not just for Austin, but for the person who thanked me.  Dana's life changed my life, my kid's life and Andrea's family's life, we are all better people thanks to Dana putting herself out there.  I hope I can repay the debt I owe her, a debt she would never even think I owe.

I have said it a 1000 times, I do not have a recovered kid, but I have a completely different kid thanks to TACA and  the other TACA mom's and  the Dana's of the world who were brave enough to bring their stories forward or tell parents about organizations like TACA.  They were not held back by worry about their kids being PUNISHED or losing services, they were not be held back by fear, that if you told another parent about a service that a your school district gave you, they may take back that service or rescind it.  (And yes, I had a parent tell me that)  They stuck their necks' out and they said, (fu) I am going to get other kids services, it is not just about my kid!  The world I live in today is much better place because of TACA and Dana's View, I know many parents who are like me and pay it forward.

Life lesson, if you put yourself out there, you do make a difference, even if no one tells you it.  Someone is where you are today and needs to hear what you say.  You can change the world, it  starts with one person at a time!!!

3 comments:

  1. Lol great blog! Brought a smile to my face as about 5 years ago I was stalking Dana too! Poor woman, I sent her so many emails. But I have tried my best to pay it forward to others the way so many did for me.....we just have to keep on helping one another!! Way to go Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terri! Maybe we need to actually seek out to meet Dana. I will say I have heard she is on the spectrum, we might scare her, lol.

      Delete
  2. I have her book and yes I heard she was on the spectrum as well. I used to be in so many of those groups but it got overwhelming

    ReplyDelete