Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Neurodiversity


Thanks to my good friend Simran Garcia for the following quote and for bringing up this topic on Facebook.

“For my dear ND friends unfriend me or keep me after I say this because it needs to be said. You are ADULTS and you can make decisions for yourself. My son is a CHILD! How I care for him is MY decision because he is a CHILD! Yes I love him the way he is but he does not deserve to live a life full of asthma, allergies and brain and gut inflammation!!”

And for those of us with non verbal children I would add I am also my child’s voice and his advocate! If you are an adult and able to chose to like being Neuro Diverse, that is fine because you are able to advocate for yourself, but my child only has his parents for this!

For those of you reading this that are not familiar with the term ND or other terms there is definitions at the end of the blog.

This is a really touchy subject in the Autism community and it’s sad that it has to be. While I understand why High Functioning Adults maybe comfortable with how they are, I don’t understand how they feel the need to speak for all people with Autism. Especially children like Austin. When we started this journey 6 years ago our only concern was making Austin healthier and happier. He was awake 22 hours a day. In those 22 hours a day he spent the entire day spin in circles, coloring on paper, or running full force into the walls. He also had chronic loose stools. He thought of his parents and siblings no different then the couch or other household furniture. He also looked sick, his eyes were sunk in, and he had horrid black circles under them and his belly was extended. (Also see my husband's comment because he listed a whole bunch more that I had forgotten)

Turn the clock ahead 6 years and we have a completely different child. Do we have a recovered child or a NT child? What we have is a child with Autism who is no longer sick, who is so much healthier then he was then. He is also part of the world he lives in. He knows who we are and it is the most awesome experience to see his face light up when he recognizes someone or something he is familiar with. He is beginning to use a communication device. I know there may come a day when he decides to be part of the ND community. Until that time that he has the ability to communicate that desire, I feel it is not the place of the ND community to speak for my child.

I’d like to live in an Autism community that gets a long, but as long as my child does not have a voice, I will be his voice, I will be his advocate and I will ask the ND crowd to stop speaking for all people with Autism. You have the right and freedom to speak for yourself, but not for Austin Primer. It is my right as a parent to get my child as healthy as possible and to give him as many skills as I can to help him be a protective part of the world as an adult. Please respect those rights of parents of children with Autism.

Until next time my friends, PITAup and make the world a better place!!

Definitions:
Neurodiversity (or ND) is an idea which asserts that atypical (neurodivergent) neurological development is a normal human difference that is to be recognized and respected as any other human variation. Differences may arise in ways of processing information, including language, sound, images, light, texture, taste, or movement. The concept of neurodiversity is embraced by some autistic individuals and people with related conditions. Some groups apply the concept of neurodiversity to conditions potentially unrelated (or non-concomitant) to autism such as bipolar disorder, ADHD, schizophrenia, developmental speech disorders, Parkinson's disease, dyslexia, and dyspraxia.

Neurotypical (or NT) is a term that was coined in the autistic community as a label for people who are not on the autism spectrum: specifically, neurotypical people have neurological development and states that are consistent with what most people would perceive as normal, particularly with respect to their ability to process linguistic information and social cues. The concept was later adopted by both the neurodiversity movement and the scientific community

9 comments:

  1. Thank you Shannon. It's just ridiculous that people just don't get it. I used to worry about the "normal" parents but lately it seems like the people I need to be concerned with are in my own community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many of the neurodiversity crowd make it clear they are not talking about medical conditions but about the way of thinking. Unfortunately these don't seem to be the ones who wind up shouting the loudest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the mother of a "normal" child, I have to say that the diet does work, at least for some. The difference in Austin is amazing. I am not one of his everyday (furniture) people and now he recognizes me any time he sees me or my daughter. So please, if it doesn't work for you or your children, keep your judgements to yourself. It does actually work for so many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not far from the spectrum myself and suffer from similar symptoms, which inspires me to be more understanding of what parents who are trying biomedical approaches are reporting than I might otherwise be. GFCFSF is now a way of life for me and helpful in minimizing symptoms of chronic colitis. Personally, I suspect that many NDs must not suffer obvious physical symptoms and that they might therefore feel the claims of physical suffering are exaggerated. I'm all for celebrating and accepting people as they are. I just don't see the sense in not treating physical symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Dear ND friends who don't think I love Austin the way he is: he may wish to go back to being up 22 hrs a day, not being able to feel pain which made Him rub layers of skin off his back till he bled, not having any contact with any other person, banging his head on walls, having acidic diaherrea which burned his bottom and legs that lasted for two years. Maybe he wishes we wouldn't have pushed biomedical treatments on him, but i think he knows we do it because we do love who he is, just like all our children, and want him to be happy and well. "

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Ed!!!!! I love my son, down to every perseveration (currently with the sound of the AC units that run almost constantly because we live on the surface of the sun), but don't get that twisted with a desire to see him suffer from medical issues that require addressing! We address MEDICAL issues that seem to get swept under the carpet once a diagnosis of Autism is made. Yeast is a real thing (I have battled someone in the ND crowd about this as well and the fact that for some kiddos even "healthy" foods can be bad for them), clostridia is a real thing, food intolerances are real. If you don't believe it, see my son after a bite of wheat or dairy. We all are doing what we think the best is for our kids, PERIOD. If we all went with that assumption the world would be a better place. We know our kids best. And as Shannon said, WE ARE OUR KIDS' VOICES! When they are all recovered (notice I DID say ALL dammit because in my world that is what I want to see happen!) they can choose to eat what they like or take/not take supplements! Sim you are a great mom, I hope you had some delish chocolate and blew that shitty exchange right off!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As weird as I may be, I actually have started missing some of Julie's issues related to autism. Don't get me wrong, I don't miss her not sleeping and screaming help all hours of the night, her constant nausea and constipation, the poop smearing, the maniacal laughter, etc.

    The thing is, I have to do what is best for her, not me. She is happier now, she enjoys doing things instead of eating and spinning. She is still fascinated by cats, but reads about them instead of being one. She still would rather stay indoors and read or do art than go to the playground. So, if this diet and bio-med gets rid of the autism the general public sees, that's fine by me. I have a girl who I think will be 'spectrumie' in her personality always no matter what I do- and unless you spend enough time with her to know that, I don't really care what you think I should or should not be feeding my child.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started thinking, if my kid gets OT to decrease sensory issues, speech to improve language and ABA to extinguish behaviors, and social skills therapy on the playground to force her to play a structured game with a friend…is it not all in the hopes of making her appear less autistic?

    If “curing” your child is bad because it implies something is wrong with them, what does traditional therapy imply?

    ReplyDelete